How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.” –Henry David Thoreau
~ my son and pup sharing a moment together ~
Hi, I’m Erika, the voice behind Live.Read.Write. I’m a teacher-turned-writer or perhaps writer-turned-teacher. I’m not sure which came first. I started Live.Read.Write. in 2012 as a place to share a love of children’s books and writing with others.
At Live.Read.Write, you’ll find:
- kid lit book recommendations: picture books to poetry to middle grade chapter books. Search by category in the sidebar or click on the book recs tab in the main menu. Or head over to Goodreads and peek on my bookshelves!
- podcast suggestions related to reading and kid lit
- professional development book reviews from educational publishers. If you teach reading, don’t miss New York Times best seller The Reading Strategies Book by Jennifer Serravello (Scholastic).
- reading, writing, and language-based ideas and literature extension activities.
- free resources: printables, reading logs, and writing activities. To access all of these resources, subscribe here. Current free download: Summer Bucket List
- glimpses into the writing life
I also contribute to the following places:
- Little Lit Book Series: a thoughtful and considered collection of children’s books shared on a different theme each month from a group of educators, librarians, artists and writers
QUESTIONS, COMMENTS, BOOK REVIEW INQUIRY? Live.Read.Write. reviews board books, picture books, chapter/middle grade books, teacher professional development books, and the occasional young adult book. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PROFESSIONAL BIO: Erika Crowl is a children’s writer with a background in language education and literacy. She blogs at Live. Read. Write., a website devoted to kid lit and languages. Photography often fuels her writing and her work appears in This is Happening: Through the Lens of Instagram (Chronicle Books, 2013). Erika currently teaches middle school French and is seeking publication of her picture books To Hold a Firefly: The Art of Storytelling and Hibou: The Escape of a French Owl. She lives in New Jersey with her husband and young son.